BOOK YOUR FREE CASE EVALUATION
Effective February 28, 2023 any foreign national who is a visitor in Canada and receives a job offer while in Canada can now apply for and receive a work permit if they have a valid job offer. Visitors can continue to apply for a job from within Canada under an extension of an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) policy that was implemented during the pandemic, and will remain in effect for 2 years, until February 28, 2025. Previously, a visitor to Canada who received a job offer had to leave the country to apply for a work permit.
A valid job offer must meet the following criteria:
- A written offer of a full-time, non-seasonal job for one year or more;
- acceptance as a permanent resident; and
- a positive or neutral Labour Market Impact Assessment from Employment and Social Development Canada. The offer may also be LMIA-exempt.
Work permits are required for any foreign nationals who want to work during their temporary term in Canada. A Canada visitor who wants to apply for a work permit under this IRCC temporary public policy must:
- submit an application for an employer-specific work permit no later than February 28, 2025
- have valid status in Canada as a visitor on the day they apply
- meet all other standard admissibility criteria
- have a job offer that is supported by a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or an LMIA-exempt offer of employment.
Applicants who have a current visitor status but have held a valid work permit within the last year can receive interim work authorization to begin employment with their new employer while they are still completing their work permit application.
Canda Is Experiencing a Labour Shortage
The visitor eligibility to apply for a work permit policy and other actions by Canada's government have been put in place to help address Canada's worker shortage. With one of the lowest rates of unemployment in the country’s history, Canada has been implementing new policies and programs to:
- make it easier for qualified immigrants to move to Canada and fill urgently needed job vacancies
- help employers hire qualified foreign workers
- simplify and speed up the immigration process
Due to Canada's ongoing labour shortage, Canada plans to welcome nearly 500,000 immigrants yearly, and from 2023 - 2025, Canada plans to welcome 1.45 million immigrants.
LMIA Processing In 2023: How To Expedite Hiring Temporary Foreign Workers
- International Students Can Work More Hours to Help Canada's Labour Shortage
- Canada Family Work Permits to Address Labour Shortages
BOOK YOUR FREE CASE EVALUATION
Do You Want to Apply For A Canada Work Permit?
Do you want to work and live in Canada? Our award-winning law firm with offices in Calgary, Vancouver and Toronto offers a combined 50 years of experience and is available 24/7 to help immigrants reach their goals. Call 403-452-9515 today to get started on your exciting journey, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We offer both corporate and personal immigration services.