Effective immediately, foreign workers in Canada with a valid work permit no longer need study permits to get additional training and education. The Canadian government has introduced a temporary measure to remove the limit on the length of study programs that temporary foreign workers can enroll in without a study permit. This measure aims to address barriers faced by foreign workers and provide them with opportunities to pursue additional training and education, which will help Canadian employers who are facing labour shortages.
Before this new measure went into place, foreign workers could study while working, but only in programs of 6 months or less without a study permit.
Study Authorization For Work Permit Holders
Key points about the new temporary measure:
- Foreign workers can now seek additional training and education to enhance their careers.
- The measure allows foreign workers to expand their job prospects and increase their chances of transitioning to permanent residence.
- Previously, foreign workers could only study in programs of 6 months or less without a study permit.
- Longer programs required a separate study permit, creating a barrier for those seeking to improve their education or validate foreign credentials.
- The new measure allows foreign workers to study full time or part time without restrictions on program length while their work permits are valid or until the expiration of the policy.
- The temporary measure applies to those with a valid work permit or a pending decision on their work permit extension as of June 27, 2023.
- If a foreign worker wishes to study beyond the duration of their work permit, they still need to apply for a study permit.
This new measure aims to facilitate the educational and career growth of temporary foreign workers in Canada, providing them with more flexibility and opportunities for advancement.
Do You Want A Canada Work Permit?
Contact Ackah Business Immigration Law today to arrange a consultation and find out if you are eligible for a Canada Work Permit. Ackah Business Immigration Law is a full-service immigration law firm for businesses and individuals, with offices in Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver. Contact Ackah Law today at (403) 452-9515 or email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.