A Canadian passport is ranked the 8th most powerful passport in the world, according to the 2022 Henley Passport Index. Canadian passport holders can travel to 185 destinations without a visa. The Henley index is an annual power ranking of passports determined by the number of destinations a passport holder can enter without a visa based on data provided by the International Air Transport Authority of 199 different passports and 227 different travel destinations.
How Foreigners Can Qualify for a Canadian Passport
To qualify for a Canadian passport, a foreign national must become a Canadian citizen. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) list the following qualifications for Canadian citizenship:
- be a permanent resident
- have lived in Canada for 3 out of the last 5 years
- have filed your taxes, if you need to
- pass a test on your rights, responsibilities and knowledge of Canada
- prove your language skills
Once you become a Canadian citizen, you are eligible to apply for a Canadian Passport.
How To Apply For A Canadian Passport
A Canadian passport is a travel document for Canadian citizens. To apply for a Canadian passport, an adult Canadian citizen can:
- Go to any Service Canada Centre
- By appointment or walk-in
- You can also apply by mail
- Processing may take up to 13 weeks, plus mail time
Do You Need an Expedited Canadian Passport?
If you are a Canadian citizen and require an expedited Canadian passport so you can travel outside of Canada, there are several express Canada passport options:
- urgent 2 business days or less passport application
- expedited 3 to 45 business days passport application
Benefits of Canadian Citizenship
A Canadian passport is one of many benefits of Canadian citizenship. There are no legal differences between naturalized Canadian citizens and citizens born in Canada. Once you are a naturalized Canadian citizen you can:
- Apply for a Canadian passport.
- Participate in Canadian politics including voting and running for office.
Canadian permanent residents cannot:
- Run for federal office
- Hold jobs that require a high-level security clearance
- Get a Canadian passport
Canada is a welcoming country and wants foreigners to move to Canada to help the country's economic growth and to create more jobs for Canadians. As one might expect when wanting to become a citizen of any country, there are eligibility criteria that must be met in order to qualify for Canadian citizenship, plus applicants must take a Canada Citizenship Test. There are 20 questions on the Citizenship Test which include:
- Rights and Responsibilities of Canadians
Let Ackah Law Help You Become a Canadian Citizen and Get a Canadian Passport
With over 50 years of combined immigration legal experience, Ackah Law knows the immigration system, the citizenship process and how to improve a citizenship applicant’s chance of approval. We have extensive experience with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), and know how to meet all deadlines and requirements.
Contact Ackah Law today at (403) 452-9515 or email us directly at [email protected] to schedule a consultation.