Canada has a new opportunity for international graduates to become permanent residents if they are already in Canada and they possess the skills and experience Canada needs to fight the pandemic and accelerate the economic recovery.
Beginning May 6, 2021, Canada's IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) will begin accepting permanent residence applications:
International Graduate Residency Eligibility
In making the announcement, IRCC said the new measures ensure that international students don’t miss out on opportunities due to the pandemic and the largest draw in the history of the Express Entry system.
- International graduates must have completed an eligible Canadian post-secondary program within the last 4 years but no earlier than January 2017.
- The new permanent residency program will remain open until November 5, 2021, or until they have reached their limit.
- Graduates must have
- proficiency in one of Canada’s official languages
- meet general admissibility requirements
- be present, authorized to work and working in Canada at the time of their application to qualify
The skilled newcomers and international graduates welcomed under our plan will help create jobs and drive long-term growth in Canada.
The pandemic has shone a bright light on the incredible contributions of newcomers. These new policies will help those with a temporary status to plan their future in Canada, play a key role in our economic recovery and help us build back better. Our message to them is simple: your status may be temporary, but your contributions are lasting—and we want you to stay.”
– The Honourable Marco E. L. Mendicino, P.C., M.P.,
Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship
The new permanent residence programs will help Canada to reach its 2021 Immigration Levels Plan and welcome 401,000 new permanent residents.
Are You An International Graduate in Canada?
If you are already in Canada and are a recent graduate, you may qualify for Canada's new permanent residency program. Ackah Business Immigration Law guides you through the immigration journey to permanent residence in Canada. To find out if you qualify and to help process your application, contact Ackah Law today at (403) 452‑9515 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.